Our Program Model
- Early intervention, before children’s life trajectories are severely limited.
- Access to quality schools and expert academic support.
- A “community” of role-model staff and volunteers surrounding our children and their families and providing enrichment and support.
- Parent/Guardian involvement.
- Robust support beginning with admission to the program, continuing through college, and remaining available through career launch.
- Mind, body and spiritual development support.
- Stable and loving environment, including homes in residential programming and atmosphere in non-residential programming.
In each Boys Hope Girls Hope home, six to twelve scholars are cared for by live-in, round-the-clock professional Residential Counselors. Scholars share chores, do homework together, attend religious services, eat, and grow up together. Academic growth and whole-person development are the program focus: residential scholars are enrolled in college-preparatory programs at top-rated area schools; scholars are matched with tutors who help them reach their academic potential and mentors who share their life experience; they are enrolled in extracurricular activities designed to help them discover themselves and the world around them; and they engage in community service projects that teach them the value of living a life committed to serving others.
Academic growth and whole-person development remain the focus. Like residential scholars, Academy scholars are enrolled in college-preparatory programs at top-rated area schools or provided college-preparatory curriculum in their current school district; scholars are matched with tutors who help them reach their academic potential and mentors who share their life experience; they are enrolled in extracurricular activities designed to help them discover themselves and the world around them; and they engage in community service projects that teach them the value of living a life committed to serving others.
For BHGH residential and non-residential scholars, a college education is not a dream, it is an expectation. College Road is a multi-year, interactive program with specific activities that are proven to prepare scholars for the demands of campus life and independent living. It was initiated in 2000 by the BHGH Board of Directors to drastically increase college graduation rates among participating youth. Each scholar uses a digital MyRoad Portfolio, which is a personalized guide to his/her College Road activities from 7th grade through the college planning process. The College Road curriculum is designed to help BHGH college students develop three critical attributes for success in education as well as professional life: competency, connectedness and confidence.
Through the BHGH International Scholarship Fund, scholars having completed College Road activities and MyRoad benchmarks, enrolled in 15 or more credit hours and maintaining specific GPA requirements may apply for scholarship funds each semester through college degree completion (in five years or less).
Theory of Change
We believe that motivated children can overcome significant barriers and develop their inherent talents when surrounded by strong relationships and opportunities for enrichment. We believe they thrive in an environment that empowers them and allows them to focus on their strengths.
Inspired by this conviction, Boys Hope Girls Hope:
- Immerses young people in a structured environment with long-term developmental relationships that stabilize, heal, and empower
- Prepares scholars for academic excellence and the discernment of a pathway to post-secondary educational attainment and ultimately a career
- Fosters social, emotional, character, and spiritual development to build social capital through a myriad of growth opportunities, developmental resources, positive influences, and community service-learning
- Equips scholars with life skills, career skills and access to a network that ensures productive employment and contribution in an ever-changing marketplace
Critical distinguishing elements of our programming include a deep investment in each scholar that:
- Recognizes and values scholar families as vital resources and essential collaborators
- Begins in middle school
- Continues through career launch
We theorize that through consistent delivery of these program components, youth under the BHGH influence will fulfill their potential and become world-changing persons for others.
Our efforts are guided by instilling the evidence-based “6C” framework, and we evaluate our impact through this lens. We prepare young adults for productive lives by instilling Confidence, Competence, Caring, Character, Compassion and Contribution.